Links for Undergraduate Education
Training Exercises for Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology
- This collection of cases in environmental epidemiology was developed
to provide teachers of epidemiology with practical learning tools
of special relevance to environmental health challenges in developing
countries. The cases span a broad variety of exposures, diseases,
and geographic regions.
Learning Faculty Institute at UC Irvine
- Includes examples of PBL cases in biology, chemistry, and interdisciplinary
fields such as social ecology.
Center for Case Study Teaching in Science
- A collection of workshops and methodology, as well as an extensive
of cases designed for undergraduate classes.
- The LifeLines OnLine project challenges faculty from two-year
colleges to design and implement problem based learning modules
that focus on real world issues.
- In Virtual Sherlock, students try to solve a crime using the
clues and information available. The problem solving process requires
students to use the library and the internet to look for additional
information, learn, understand and apply it in order to solve
Problem Based Learning Clearinghouse
- A collection of problems and articles to assist educators in
using problem-based learning. Teaching notes and supplemental
materials accompany each problem, providing insights and strategies
that are innovative and classroom-tested.
for Problem Based Learning at Samford University
- PBL resources, as well as a portfolio of educators working with
problem based cases.
- The Clearinghouse
for Decision Case Education
- Offers many case-based learning experiences which can be ordered
directly from the site. Many cases explore the overlap of science
and political policy.
though Problem Writing
- A series of problems in psychology and pharmacology, as well
as society and the context of biomedical research.
Center for Case Study Teaching in Science
- Contains various articles about case studies used as methods
to teach science.
- Chemisty focused modules that examine the roll of chemisty in
the context of real-world questions.
- Searle Center
for Teaching Excellence
- Contains links to websites related to teaching and learning.
- This site is a multimedia teaching case about education and
integration in South Africa.
- WestED -
Mathematics Teaching Cases
- A book containing mathematics teaching cases related to various
topics such as fractions, decimals and percents.
- A collection of teaching cases related to finance and urban
policy from Syracuse University.
- Institute for Transforming
Components of Problem-Based Learning for the K-12 Inquiry Science
- A paper by professors in the University of Southern California's
School of Dentistry.
Xi - The Scientific Research Society
- A website that contains information regarding undergraduate
science education and inquiry-based learning.
on Undergraduate Science Education
- Contains information about this committee, which is part of
the National Acadamies.
- Workshop Biology
- This program helps to make teaching styles for non-biology majors
better in biology courses at the University of Oregon.
in Undergraduate Science Education Using Web-Based Instructional
Modules: The Natural Science Pages
- A papepr by Anthony Carpi who is in the Department of Sciences
at John Jay College in New York, NY, part of CUNY.
- What Matters in
College After College
- Contains data from a survey conducted by the Annapolis Group
of Liberal Arts Colleges
- Curriculum Access System
for Elementary Science
- A database of lesson plans and various other materials put together
by the University of Michigan.
Learning by Middle School Students
- From science to music, this site showcases problem-based learning
projects for middle school students.
- Oceans of Kansas
- A palentology website with fossils from the Late Cretaceous
Western Interior Sea
Chemistry Role Playing Cases
- Chemistry cases explore the need to balance environmental and
- Implementing Problem Solving Strategies: Investigative
Cases for Biology and Chemistry
- Emory University August, 12th16th, 2002. Schedule and
Guide for a successful PBL workshop for college teachers.
- Problem based approach to teaching physics methods for both
large and small groups.
and Behavioral Biology Interactive Case Study Group at Emory
- This site provides a short overview of PBL
as well as a PBL case which is used by the Honors Human Physiology
class at Emory University. Guests may access the case as well
as technical information on how the case has been developed for
College WebSites with Projects of Interest
- Contains links to several sites on problem-based
Studies in Science
- Contains information on the use of case studies
in the sciences. The power of the case method is its ability to
capture the attention of the student because it is a "rehearsal
for life." It develops students' skills in group learning,
speaking, and critical thinking.
Biology Case Studies
- Contains three environmental biology case studies from Professor
Blumer's Environmental Biology course at Morehouse College.
- Problem-based learning techniques for chemistry
education by Emory's own, Dr. Preetha Ram.
Learning in Biology
- Contains over 20 examples of class-tested
case problems for use in first year college biology courses.
Learning at the University of Delaware
- This site uses problem-based learning to
help students develop the ability to think critically, analyze
problems, and find and use appropriate learning resources.
Problem Based Learning
- Investigating PBL: A Webquest
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine's Department of
teaching initiatives which employ Resource Based Learning
Health Sciences Library PBL Resources
- List of resources for faculty developing
for Problem-Based Learning Core
- IMSA's Center for Problem-Based Learning
Illinois University School of Medicine's Problem-Based Learning
- PBL Bibliography list through Southern Illinois
- Accepts applications for minigrants for the development of PBL
Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey's Case-Based Learning Resource
- With references broken down by topic (K-12, undergraduate, medical
school and miscelaneous)
- "...balanced information concerning educational assessment,
evaluation and research methodology." -Ericae.net
Center for Learning and Instruction - PBL Resource
Includes a search engine of web and print references, updated regularly.